Sunday, June 23, 2013

Meat(less)-ing in the Middle

I've been doing my summer cleanse for three weeks now, and I've already lost eight pounds, which has me feeling inspired, encouraged, and motivated, and even has me considering extending my cleanse beyond the thirty days I had originally planned to do. I've discovered the simple pleasures of having a bowl of berries or a banana with some almond butter for dessert, finding a green tea that has so many layers of flavor to it that I really do wonder if I'll ever need to drink coffee again, and eating out with my family and finding fairly healthy options that seem like a splurge but don't leave me bloated and regretful. It has been a wonderful, eye-opening experience.

But at the same time, I've also found myself in a bit of a food rut, as I've eaten the same sorts of foods over and over again for the most part (smoothies, salads, toast with avocado, handfuls of nuts), and I have been getting a little bored with the monotony. I've also been a bit discouraged by the fact that my meat-loving husband and I have been eating completely separate meals--it's not that we always have to eat the same thing, but when our diets have become so disparate, it has become difficult to think of things I could make that would satisfy him, too...and save him from a trip through the drive-thru because there's nothing in our kitchen that he wants. Unless I'm conscientiously directing the meals in a healthy direction in our house, they tend toward the fast, cheap, and greasy, unfortunately.

A few days ago, it suddenly hit me that I am essentially (albeit not entirely purely) eating a vegan diet, and I know that there are a ton of vegan blogs and cookbooks out there, so I decided to search for some recipes that would leave me feeling like I had more than just a few options to choose from while eating at home. I found two recipes--for a pasta dish and a soup--that were easy to make and simply spectacular! My husband has been raving about both, and he has even insisted that I make the garlic and oil pasta from now on in place of the marinara standard he usually asks for. I am so happy to have reached a place where I feel like I can get him on board with eating this way at least part of the time, and where I can make some things that we can both enjoy together. I am on the hunt for more recipes that will please both of our palates--but for now I can rest assured knowing that I have a tasty and healthy pasta dish I can easily whip up on any given weeknight, without much effort.

Here are the recipes, as I've adapted them from the originals. For the pasta, I added broccoli, used crushed garlic (the kind that comes pre-mashed in a jar), used dried parsley in place of fresh, and simply whisked together the sauce instead of taking the extra time (and the extra pan) to cook it--the perfect solution for this busy working mom at the end of a long day. For the soup, I added garlic (I can't cook a soup without it!), used dried herbs in place of fresh ones, replaced some of the thyme with oregano, and left the potato skins on--again, to simplify things a bit and make it easier to throw the soup together with a toddler underfoot. I plan to come back to both of these recipes often (and I'm sure my husband won't mind one bit)!

Easy Pasta Aglio Et Olio with Broccoli


Ingredients


Kosher salt, to taste, plus 1 teaspoon
1 pound whole wheat pasta
1 pound frozen broccoli florets
3 heaping teaspoons crushed garlic
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
A few shakes red pepper flakes
2 heaping teaspoons dried parsley
1/2 lemon, zested

Instructions


Bring a large pot of cold water to a boil over high heat, then salt it generously. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente (about 8 minutes). In a separate pot, cook the broccoli according to the package directions, until al dente.

While the pasta and broccoli cook, combine the garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, parsley, lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl or large measuring cup and whisk together until well blended.

When the pasta is done cooking, reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta. Add the reserved water to the oil mixture and whisk again until well combined. Put the drained pasta and broccoli back into the pasta pot, then pour the oil mixture over the top and toss gently until well distributed. Add more salt and red pepper flakes as needed to taste.

Yields 4 to 6 servings.

Note: Recipe adapted from "Spaghetti with Oil and Garlic (Aglio Et Olio)," from Food Network Kitchens (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/spaghetti-with-oil-and-garlic-aglio-et-olio-recipe/index.html).
 
 A delightful and colorful alternative to our old standby pasta.
 

Easy, Creamy Asparagus Potato Soup


Ingredients


4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
2 large onions, diced
2 large leeks, rinsed thoroughly and sliced (white and light green parts only)
2 pounds asparagus, with ends snapped, and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 pounds baby potatoes, cut into quarters
8 cups vegetable broth
3 teaspoons crushed garlic
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried oregano
3 teaspoons dried marjoram
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, plus more for serving
Bunch of fresh chives, sliced

Instructions


In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and leeks, and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the asparagus and potatoes, and cook another 8 to 10 minutes, covered. Add the broth, garlic, herbs, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the potatoes and asparagus are soft and easily pierced with a fork.

Carefully use an immersion blender to puree the soup until it is smooth, and no large chunks remain. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper as needed to taste. Top each individual serving with a dash of red pepper flakes, a sprinkle of freshly chopped chives, and a drizzle of olive oil.

Yields 12 servings.

Notes: Recipe adapted from "Creamy Asparagus, Potato and Leek Soup (Vegan)," from Tasty Yummies (http://tasty-yummies.com/2011/05/18/creamy-asparagus-potato-and-leek-soup-vegan/). I doubled the original recipe, so this makes a huge pot of soup with plenty of leftovers to spare--if you want a smaller batch, just cut everything in half.

The toppings really do complete the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment